Interview-Cindy Levy: "I wasn’t in the prospect of selling my creations, but I wanted to expose them"
- What & Who is Cindy Levy?
Cindy Levy is a sewing’s passionate’s parisian. She began in the fashion’s word in big houses like Chanel, and one day, she juste decided to create her own brand, with her own rules, and her own universe.
- What is your typical day when running a brand like yours?
A typical day for begin earlier by answer to my emails. Then, i send the orders and buy the materials. After, I go to the sewing workshop to see the advection of the production. On the afternoon, I care about all it concerns shooting : I choose models, places, photographer,.. and when it’s done, I crate the looks. At the end of the day, I make the patterns, and I think about the new creations. Finally, I sew the prototypes.
- In a brief description, how do you approach the business side of fashion when you first started?
It is important to remember that when I started, I wasn’t in the prospect of selling my creations, but I wanted to expose them. When someone proposed to buy what I did, I was really surprised! Then everything happened naturally.
- Were there any setbacks to getting your label off the ground? How did you overcome that?
Of course! I was alone, young and above all I was a girl, so it was very difficult for me to start in this world. At first, when I went to the appointments, anibody thought that I was serious, and I really made angry! But now, everything is better: having more than 10.000 followers on Instagram, it really helps to credibility ! (LOL)
- How would you describe yourself as a person & artist?
In both cases I am the same person, I am just much more reserved as an artist than as a person. I have a big carapace and I am someone very spontaneous which is not always obvious for others (laugh)
- Do you have a favorite designer who inspires you? Why is that?
I love Rad Hourani very much, I find myself very much in his work, it is for me a great Designer.
- What story are you trying to covey through your designs?
As I often say, I do not target a type of person in general. I would like that everyone finds in my creations, that's why I use several fabrics, several cuts, fasteners, zip, strings. I would like people to create their own fashions using my creations.
- Did you ever see yourself to be so successful in establishing a known brand?
Initially this is not what was expected, I was really doing it for fun, I do it now but today is my job. I do not know where I would be in 10 years but one thing is about that I would always continue to share my passion with others.
- Tell me about your latest collection. What was your vision when you created it?
The last collection is very special, it was really a stakes for I know that people were waiting for this collection of firm foot. I created much more unisex clothes, I wanted to bet more on the details, and I still have a lot more surprise for the next. I hope that pleases you.
- To be a designer, you had to undergo a lot of struggles. What was the most difficult obstacle for you when putting together your collection?
Yes indeed, the hardest has been to find everything that is manufacturer, suppliers, and especially to work in a climate of trust. What you should know is that in Paris everyone work in the same place and everyone copies everyone, it's very hard.
- If you could showcase your designs anywhere in the world, where would you start and why?
I would love to sell in London, because it is there that I started my first collection the inspiration that this city gives is incredible, I love London.
- Who excites you the most (Celebrity) & why?
It's not celebrity that excites me, I just want to make travel my creations, to be able to transmit with people the energy that I provide in my clothes. It's more that excites me.
- How is your brand different from any other designer brands?
I consider my brand different because I was the first to use satchel bindings as accessories on clothes, I use quite complex materials such as furnishing materials for example. I think any brand is different not just mine otherwise the fashion market would not be so hard! LOL
- What are your world-dominating goals for Cindy Levy?
I would like to travel my brand as much as possible I have a lot of project for 2017 and now that I am on Asos I certainly have the chance to be visible all over the world.
I would like to thank all those who follow me and who support my brand because it is also thanks to them that I am today